No products in the cart.
Here we introduce you to Mirrorless cameras for which an underwater housing is also available.
Often it is not easy to find a good camera that also fits an underwater housing.
With cameras, regardless of the type, the housing must always be manufactured exactly to the cameras physical specifications to fit in order to be able to operate all buttons from the outside and to be able to adjust all settings of the camera from outside the underwater housing.
To put this in propective, the Canon EOS R5 Mirrorless camera does not fit into an underwater housing made for a Nikon D780 or vice versa.
The Canon EOS R5 only fits into the one housing that was specially produced and developed for the EOS R5, Obviously there are different Brands, but every Brand has their speially made hosuing for the camera
And that’s not the only thing: lenses
With the system camera it also depends on the lens that is used, because not every lens has a port and not in every port fits any lens. As soon as you change the lens on the camera and it has a different diameter and length, you also need to adapt/change the port on your underwater housing.
← On so-called port / lens charts you can see which port fits which lens.
However, you are only spoiled for choice when it comes to choosing a lens and the associated port for DSLR and Mirrorless cameras.
With point-and-shoot cameras, the lenses cannot be exchanged and you only have the option of using wet lenses (underwater attachable lenses).
There are also additional underwater attachable lenses such as wide-angle, macro and magnifying lenses for DSLR and Mirrorless cameras.
Such underwater housings are designed so that any setting can be made from the outside. The newer ones are usually also equipped with a Vacuum sealing system that indicates whether the housing is closed in a watertight manner!
If you want to learn more about underwater photography, check out our 10 secret tips to get better photos right away!
If you want to use zoom lenses underwater, you must also be able to adjust the zoom from the outside of the housing. With most common zoom lenses, this is achieved by means of toothed focus rings. A large knob on the outside of the port connects the sprockets to your fingertips, making fine adjustments a breeze. Zoom and focus gears differ depending on the lens used. Zoom gears are always sold separately.
When buying a Mirrorless camera, you can often choose between just the body or the body and a simple lens. The lens supplied is the standard lens and often not very good.
Most underwater housings for Mirrorless cameras are made from marine grade aluminum.
But there are also housings made of ABS-PC mixtures, these are lighter than those made of aluminum.
Maximum depth rating
Underwater housings are waterproof and functional to a depth of at least 60m.
With such a good camera it is important to switch from automatic mode to manual mode. If you are not very familiar with it, we have written a guide for manual photography!
Underwater Photography reel by Daniel Sasse shot in Manual Mode
With such cameras, as good as they are above water, light underwater cannot be replaced by settings on the camera because the water acts like a color filter. the deeper you dive, the fewer colors there are.
We present our recommendations for video lights on this page! Because with artificial light the colors come out naturally again!
It is always a good solution to have a camera tray for underwater housings to increase stabilization. However, you have to make sure the housing is compatible and whether the housing fits between the two handles!
Ball arms and clamps must be used to attach additional attachments such as underwater video lights, flash and action cameras.
Ball Arms are attached as extensions to get the strobe or underwater lamp to where the illumination is perfect! The ball arms are available in different lengths.
In order to secure your expensive equipment well, it is necessary to have a coiled cable to which you can connect the camera to the BC.
Here are our recommendations for Mirrorless cameras and their associated underwater housings
Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
8K Video, 45 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS Sensor, DIGIC X Image Processor, Dual Memory Card Slots, and Up to 12 fps Mechnical Shutter,
- High Image Quality featuring a New 45 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor.
- DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-51200; Expandable to 102400×1.
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 12 fps with Mechanical Shutter and up to 20 fps electronic (silent) shutter.
- Dual pixel CMOS AF covering approx. 100% area with 1,053 AF areas.
- Subject tracking of people and animals using deep learning technology.
Canon EOS R5 associated underwater housing
Nikon Z7 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
45.7MP full-frame resolution with a lightweight mirrorless design, revolutionary new Z mount, matched lenses and seamless integration with Nikon’s popular DSLR system
- New larger Z mount for revolutionary optical performance
- Nikon-designed 45.7MP backside Illuminated image sensor with no optical low pass filter (OLPF)
- 493-Point on-sensor phase detect AF system and up to 9 fps; Detection Range: Minus-1 to Plus-19 EV (Minus-4 to plus-19 EV with low-light AF) Detection range (ISO 100, f/2.0 lens, 20 °C/68 °F)
- 4K ultra-HD video; 8K time-lapse; 120/1080P slow motion
- Compatible with new Z nikkor lenses, over 360 F-mount nikkor lenses and a variety of Nikon system Accessories
Nikon Z 7 associated underwater housing
Sony Alpha 7II mirrorless camera
with full frame sensor with 24.3MP resolution and super-fast autofocus
- World’s first 5-axis in-body image stabilization in a full-frame camera.
- Use your favorite lenses without blur from camera shake.
- Capture stunning images with full-frame, 24.3MP resolution.
- Fast hybrid AF with phase-detection – 30% faster than a7.
- Viewfinder Type: 0.5-type electronic viewfinder (colour)
Sony Alpha 7II associated underwater housing
Olympus E-M1 Mark III Mirrorless Camera
Micro Four Thirds System camera housing, 20 MP sensor, 5-axis image stabilization, powerful autofocus, 4K video, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- Multi-selector (Joystick) for quick selection of the AF area while looking through viewfinder
- Dust proof/Slash proof/Freeze proof magnesium alloy weather sealed construction
- 50MP handheld high resolution shot
- 60 FPS (S-AF), 18 fps (C-AF tracking) continuous shooting with the silent electronic shutter
- 121 point all cross type on chip phase detection plus contrast detection AF
- Starry skies shooting mode
- Dual SD card slots
- IPX1 weather resistant rated
Olympus E-M1 Mark III associated underwater housing
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5S Systemkamera
10.2 Megapixel Mirrorless Camera with High-Sensitivity MOS Sensor, C4K/4K UHD 4:2:2 10-Bit, 3.2-Inch LCD,
- PROFESSIONAL PHOTO AND VIDEO PERFORMANCE: 10.2-megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor and a significantly higher photoreceptive surface per pixel deliver an ultra-wide dynamic range; Dual Native ISO provides ultra-sensitive video capture with impressively low noise
- RUGGED SPLASH/FREEZEPROOF DESIGN: Durable magnesium alloy body withstands heavy use out in the field and is freezeproof down to -10-degrees; Splash/dustproof construction with weather sealing on every joint, dial and button
- UNLIMITED IN-CAMERA RECORDING OF C4K: Capable of internal SD card capture of 60p50p 8-bit, 30p25p24p 4:2:2 10-bit, 4K: 60p50p 4:2:0 8-bit, 30p25p24p 4:2:2 10-bit; 1080p up to 240fps and C4K 60p VFR
- ANAMORPHIC VIDEO MODE: 4K Anamorphic professional video production interchangeable lens camera system enables high performance, durability and mobility
- CONNECTIVITY AND PORTS: TC In/Out/Synchro Terminal (via included BNC cable), 3.5mm mic jack with line input, 3.5mm headphone jack, 2.5mm remote socket, HDMI Type A Socket and USB-C 3.1 Socket; Available twin SD Card slots (UHS-II U3 compatible)
Lumix DC-GH5S associated underwater housing
Remember that these underwater housings always come without a port, even if it is sometimes shown in the pictures! The correct port for the respective lens must be ordered separately, as well as the focus gear rings.
You might also be interested in:
This was our list of the Best Men’s Swim Trunks 2021! We hope you enjoyed it and if so, please share the article with your friends and family or on your social platforms and leave us a comment below with your favorite we would appreciate it a lot and you’d make the Oceans a little better! Thank you!
If you don’t want to miss any of our next Equipment guides you can sign up here for our free newsletter!
You’d like to support us in our marine protection projects, but don’t have much time?
Rescue the Ocean with your Purchase!
All income goes towards our Marine Life Conservation Projects!
NFT Underwater Photography Collection
Check out our NFT Collection of Underwater images by Daniel Sasse. All income goes towards our Conservation Projects
Are you looking for your own Scuba Diving, Snorkeling or water sport Equipment? Don’t miss out on our detailed guides!
Interested in joining us as a Marine Life Conservation Volunteer?
Check it out here
You can now Donate in Cryptocurrency to support our Marine Life Conservation Projects